Portfolios and examples

Subject: Portfolios and examples
From: "Sharon Smithe" <slsmithe -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 06:47:51 -0500

I'm working on updating my portfolio. Right now I've got about 20
examples in there, but I think that may be too much and will probably
pare it down. Most of them are hardware and software documents that
I've worked on over the past ten years, but some of them look so
archaic compared to the more modern guides that I don't feel they show
well anymore, so they will probably be the first to go.

I thought I'd throw these questions out for general discussion. They
might be of use to some other writers looking to update and refresh
their portfolios.

+ What kind and how many examples do some of you have in your portfolios?
+ How many examples would you say are too many?
+ How far back would you keep examples from?
+ Do you include entire examples of manuals, or only excerpts?
+ What do you keep your portfolio in? Art-type portfolio? Briefcase?
Grocery bag? (I've got enough that it requires it's own briefcase
and then some, which is why I'm looking to take a few things out.)

Discuss!

-----Sharon