Re: MS Word .DOT file

Subject: Re: MS Word .DOT file
From: "Kevin Amery" <kevindamery -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com, khizran -at- gmail -dot- com
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 09:33:53 -0500

To expand on what Jonathan said, the reason you don't want to modify the
normal.dot file is that if you send the .doc file to other people, Word will
use THEIR copy of normal.dot instead of yours. The only way to ensure that
the formatting you choose is not changed when you send the .doc file to
other people is to define a new .dot file (i.e. one with a name unique to
your organization). You can then attach this .dot file to the document, and
when other people open it they will see the formatting from your template
instead of the default Word formatting.

Hope this helps.

--
Until next time...

Kevin Amery

On 10/31/06, Jonathan West <jwest -at- mvps -dot- org> wrote:

> I have created a customized normal.dot template to be used for
> documentation.

Ouch. Not a good idea. Create a separate template under a different name.

> Now i prepeared a doc file using this .dot file. In the doc
> file if i try to use a formating option which is not defined in
customised
> normal.dot the document behaves strangely.
>
> For example if i try to change colour of a word or sentence the whole
> docuemnt's colour is chnaged. (where ever the format is normal text) if
> press Ctrl+Z the document return back to original shape and the desired
> sentence is changedonly to the desired coulor

Take a look here

Formatting applied to one paragraph affects the entire document
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/WholeDocumentReformatted.htm

Regards
Jonathan West

Easily create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to any popular
Help file format or printed documentation. Learn more at
http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as kevindamery -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-
or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/kevindamery%40gmail.com