RE: Article: Hiring Managers Reject More than Half of Candidates Based on Web Postings

Subject: RE: Article: Hiring Managers Reject More than Half of Candidates Based on Web Postings
From: Beth Agnew <Beth -dot- Agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 11:48:26 -0800

The results for my name are almost all mine. While some of my antics are not
something people would specifically hire for, I don't think they work
against me, either. If a client or employer were to reject me based on my
web presence, that would be fine. They are not the kind of people I'd want
to work for.

Some years ago, when I was looking for more creative work, I had a resume
that was obviously prepared by a creative individual -- it included my
hand-drawn "self-portrait" among other attributes. It was a great filter. If
it was too radical for the hiring manager, the person behind it would have
been a very wrong fit for their organization. At least I knew the first
hurdle was cleared when I got invited to an interview. Then talking about
the resume's look was a great ice-breaker.
--Beth

Catch the Buzz: http://bethbuzz.blogspot.com
STC Conference presentation archive:
http://www.301url.com/podcasting

Beth Agnew
Professor, Technical Communication
Seneca College of Applied Arts & Technology
Toronto, ON 416-491-5050 x3133
http://www.tinyurl.com/83u5u