Re: Article: Hiring Managers Reject More than Half of CandidatesBased on Web Postings

Subject: Re: Article: Hiring Managers Reject More than Half of CandidatesBased on Web Postings
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 15:09:08 -0800

One of the most amazing things you learn when you become
a hiring manager is that the stories about applicants who have
no idea what "professional conduct" is that you used to think
were absurd exaggerations are actually real. You wouldn't
think that someone who openly posts about how he/she
falsifies resumes and job application, regularly files false
expense reports, went on a ski trip while awaiting the results
of a workmen's comp claim or participated in an orgy or
cross burning while wearing an employer's uniform with the
company name clearly viewable would be surprised to find
that a prospective future employer is going to react badly,
but the world is a strange place.

As for hiring managers who would exclude you because
of your stated views about your profession, good business
practices, etc., or your personal activities and views that are
totally outside of your work, you can either live a stealth
life and never have a noticeable personality, or you can
choose to be you and just decide that you're probably
better off not working for someone like that anyway.

What comes up when I Google myself in detail... Let's
just say that I have no expectation of ever being called
upon by any known political party to be their candidate
for anything.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Barbara Vega" <BarbaraV -at- libertyims -dot- com>

Also, I sure hope none of us have enemies, who decide to go around to forums with our names and post lurid or unseemly comments just to make sure we never get hired anywhere. It could be a good way for someone you doesn't like you to screw you over.

If hiring managers are that naïve to take what is on the INTERNET as gospel, (when anyone who has ever been a researcher can tell you, much of what is published on the Internet is to be carefully checked and rechecked for sources because its veracity is dubious), then these hiring managers should turn in their hiring manager hats and go into underwater basket weaving or something else.