Re: Laptop specifications

Subject: Re: Laptop specifications
From: "Kevin Amery" <kevindamery -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 09:06:54 -0500

On 11/7/06, Joe Malin <jmalin -at- jmalin -dot- com> wrote:

Bluetooth is not perfectly secure, but I don't rely on it for long-range
public data transmission anyway. Instead, I use it to synchronize my PDA
and mobile phone to my laptop.

Which of course is the type of thing it's intended to do. My warning,
though, was prompted by something a friend with a Bluetooth phone ran into
about a year ago.

One day, his boss asked him to come into his office for a second. Instead of
a business related meeting, though, the boss asked him if he could see the
names in my friend's phones address book. After one glance, the boss said,
"oh, so that's where they're coming from!" Turns out their phones had been
sharing addresses without either of them being aware of it.

Since then, both of us have felt you should only activate Bluetooth when you
need to transfer something, and deactivate it the rest of the time.

--
Until next time...

Kevin Amery