Re: Yet Another Recruiter Question

Subject: Re: Yet Another Recruiter Question
From: "Pro TechWriter" <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: beth -dot- agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 12:06:16 -0500

On 11/19/06, Beth Agnew <beth -dot- agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca> wrote:

The recruiter needs to know if you may have applied to a job for which
they already have a contract in place with the employer. If you are
successful, they can probably get credit for the hire, even though you
submitted yourself. Also, they need to know if you are working with any
other recruiters. If two or more recruiters submit candidates for the
same job (yes, it happens), they need to know which one gets the
commission.

Yep, exactly. I just usually tell the recruiter, yes, I am, so >you< need to
tell me what firms you are submitting me for. :-D

I have done LOTS of consulting, so this is a normal part of the conversation
with a recruiter for me.

Beth also said:

The recruiter wants to avoid a situation where your resume
was submitted by a competitor and by them as well. That opens the field
for a nice argument or a split commission, and they don't want to take
that chance. The question then is more about turf than whether you are
marketing yourself.

Finding out what firms the recruiter is submitting you to avoids the second
instance (above) where two recruiters submit you for the same job. (This has
happened after I told them in advance not to submit me without telling me
who it was for. My response was, "I told you to tell me first, and I did it
in writing." He apologized to me, and said he learned a lesson.)

Plus, I want control over what companies I am being submitted to. If the
recruiter does not trust me enough to tell me what the company is, I don't
work with them. There are not many places that I won't go back to, but
there are a couple, so this can also save the recruiter a lot of
embarrassment.

PT.