RE: Yet Another Recruiter Question

Subject: RE: Yet Another Recruiter Question
From: "Melissa Nelson" <melmis36 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 13:32:28 -0500

>I can't recall ever, at any time in my careers as either an engineer or a
>writer/pubs manager, applying to a recruiter's ad cold and having it result
>in a real job opportunity.

I did have this happen once. I was hired for a contract position when I
replied to a recruiter's ad on Monster.com. However, all my other experience
with recruiters has been when they have contacted me.

Melissa

From: "James Barrow" <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 10:21:52 -0800
> >Gene Kim-Eng typed:
>
> >I have a very different experience with recruiters. They usually start
off
> >by giving me a brief description of the position and tell me what city
it
> >is in, then ask me if this sounds as if it might be of interest to me.
>
>Same here. At least I know that this is standard operating
procedure. This
> [...]
then we
> >move to the final question of whether I want them to submit me.
>
>Again, the same here. This is about where they slip in the question
about
>what I'm currently making, or what I made during my last contract. I
also
>get questions like: Are you looking for contract or full time? Do you
>think the commute will be too great? Can you highlight the bulleted
items
>on your resume that reflect these job requirements?
>
> >I don't think I've ever had a recruiter decline to reveal the client
> >company's name once I've told them I would like to know more about the
> >"opportunity."
>
>Hmmm...I've actually had a couple of recruiters describe the job in depth
>only to tell me afterwards that they have to get back to their office to
>determine who the client is.
>
> >This is probably because I generally only send my resume to the same
> >recruiters I also work with as a hiring manager, so any recruiters I
don't
> >know who contact me out of the blue are responding to one of my
anonymous
> >online profiles and at the time they email me don't even know my name.
>
>Oh yeah. Although I haven't yet looked, I'm betting that there are at
least
>two emails in my inbox from recruiters who are looking for C+ developers,
>etc. These emails usually start off with "Your resume was a prefect
match!"

>As for working with the same recruiters, I find this interesting since
you
>and I are both in Los Angeles. In all the years that I've been doing
this,
>I've only spoken with two recruiters on a repeat basis, and the second
time
>around did not result in getting hired. This is sometimes disappointing
>since some of the recruiters that I have worked with have been
outstanding,
>but they usually end up quitting the business for various reasons. For
the
>most part, I just don't see the same recruiting firm advertise for
multiple
>tech writing positions throughout the year.
>
> >I can't recall ever, at any time in my careers as either an engineer or
> >writer/pubs manager, applying to a recruiter's ad cold and having it
result
> >in a real job opportunity.
>
>This statement made me think long and hard. I don't think I have either.

>WebWorks ePublisher Pro for Word features support for every major Help
>format plus PDF, HTML and more. Flexible, precise, and efficient content
>delivery. Try it today! http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l
>
>Easily create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to any popular
Help file format or printed documentation. Learn more at
http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/melmis36%40hotmail.com