RE: Yet Another Recruiter Question

Subject: RE: Yet Another Recruiter Question
From: "Dori Green" <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 13:50:56 -0500

Most of my recruiters declined to give me the company's name until/unless
they were setting up an on-site interview. Then they kinda sorta had to if
they wanted me to pull into the correct parking lot! When asked outright
about that, they admitted that they were afraid I'd present myself directly.
This was in New Jersey pre-dot-com. Everybody was tripping over everybody
else, and there could have been twice the number of TWs available -- we
still would have been fought over. Ah, the memories.

Also a few years ago, I was sent to a four-day "how to write winning
government proposals" course. The gist of the whole thing was "create a
relationship, create a relationship, create a relationship".

Hmmm. Always a fan of Learning Transfer, I applied the same principles to
my job searches and quickly weeded out the superficial recruiters who were
more obviously more interested in a quick commission than in creating true
matchmaking magic. Worked well for me -- I still stay in touch with some of
those recruiters even though I'm not actively looking.

Of course, it does help that the market seems to making a turn upward, too.
It was cold and dry for a lonnnnggggggg time.

Dori Green