Re: writing commands

Subject: Re: writing commands
From: "Paul Pehrson" <paulpehrson -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Carrie Baker" <carriebak -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 15:45:18 -0700

When I'm writing a command that uses parameters that change, I use angle
brackets, like in the following example:

If the image file was uploaded using the upload utility, you access it in

the following location:

<$PRODUCT_HOME>/tomcat/webapps/images/<USER_ID>

In the above location, <USER_ID> is a variable that represents the user ID
of the logged-in user that uploaded the file.

In my document's overview section, I've already explained that
<$PRODUCT_HOME> is the installation directory of the product. I explain it
once in detail in that location, giving examples for both Windows and Linux
users, and then I just use the <$PRODUCT_HOME> variable every time I want to
refer to the installation directory.

Hope that helps.

-Paul Pehrson
Midvale, UT

On 11/21/06, Carrie Baker <carriebak -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

The documentaion I am writing includes commands

The user has to type commands and fill in paramters which change
according to their local settings

e.g.
"command x unit_type serial_numeber"
when unit type is the type of unit, either x, y or z and the serial
number is the number stuck on the back of your unnit

What is the best way of writing the syntax here, where do I explain
what should go in each of the fields in the command?

--
Carrie Baker
carriebak -at- gmail -dot- com

Easily create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to any popular
Help file format or printed documentation. Learn more at
http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as paulpehrson -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-
or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/paulpehrson%40gmail.com

Paul Pehrson
Midvale, UT