RE: Input on Employee Manual project

Subject: RE: Input on Employee Manual project
From: "Claire Conant" <Claire -dot- Conant -at- Digeo -dot- com>
To: "Ben Bristow" <btbris -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 10:42:49 -0800

Hi Ben,

Have fun with this. I personally like writing procedures.

I like to keep procedures simple and to the point. Users just want to
know how to get stuff done, not a lot of fluff.

For organization, I like a style I saw that I think Microsoft uses where
it is segmented - first you state what the task is, mention any
prerequisites, then list the step-by-step procedures, followed by a few
paragraphs of extra information, non-essential to getting the process
done, but helpful nonetheless.

For document conventions, I follow the Microsoft Manual of Style as most
of the procedures we document are software related. I also follow
Chicago Manual of Style for other style guidelines.

This might also be a good opportunity for you to help develop an
internal style guide. There will be conventions you'll determine for
your company documentation (when to bold, whether to capitalize a term,
punctuation, and so on) that will be helpful for authors in the future
as they write, or for you as you document further procedures.

A quick way to capture styles as you go along is to create a one page
template with categories for heading styles, capitalization, trademarks,
numbering, company-specific styles, etc. Make several copies of it and
just handwrite in the decisions you make as you go along. Later, you can
take those sheets and compile them into a formal style guide. I use one
of these sheets for every document I edit, and later add the decisions
to my style guide. I keep them for reference too because some documents
may have different conventions.

For publishing the procedures, I'd recommend an online help format. As
far as technology, I would recommend finding a software (such as
FrameMaker and WebWorks Publisher - there are others too that are good).
This will allow users to get just the information they need, and then
move on.

Hope this helps.

Claire Conant
Editor, Techcom Manager, and Intranet Program Manager
Digeo, Inc.