RE: Quick Start Guide

Subject: RE: Quick Start Guide
From: "Rick Bishop" <rickbishop -at- austin -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 20:44:44 -0600

Deb: We recently deployed 90+ pre-imaged servers. One of the items
included was a Qwik-Start Guide printed on both sides of 11x17 full color in
a bag taped to the top of each server before it was repacked in its box for
shipping. It was all pics with minimal text instructions numbered
sequentially for each pic. Rack installation photos and screen grabs on
cabling, NIC, ip, licensing, etc. Each image had a 3/4 inch black circle in
the center with a big white number in it.
We had exactly 3 help desk calls out of the project. All 3 were because
the person setting up the server did not unpack the server themselves and
did not get or see the instructional fold-out. Once the Quick-Start guide
was found, the servers went up without a hitch. We did do thorough testing
to verify the content using testers with no sys-admin experience.
Rick