Re: Quick Start Guide

Subject: Re: Quick Start Guide
From: "Paul Pehrson" <paulpehrson -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "John Posada" <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 10:26:00 -0700

On 11/30/06, John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

> I can't imagine purchasing a product if I knew it contained a
> "Qwik-Start Guide."

You mean you'd turn down purchasing a product because they used a w
and k rather than u and ck, for a product that may give you less
functionality or be inferior because the name of their guide passes a
spell check or doesn't even contain a guide?

Here's my problem with it: I feel like a company that produces a
"qwick-start" guide is talking down to me. Like they are dumbing- down the
product to my level. In my opinion, the term "qwick" doesn't sound
professional. It doesn't breed confidence in a product.

I'll admit that I was maybe a bit rash in my initial assessment. If the end
product was obviously far superior to anything else, I would probably
overcome my prejudice. However, if there were two products of unknown or
similar quality, I'd go with the one that felt more professional.
Intentionally misspelled words in the product name, company name, or (if
known) internal documentation would make me think the whole thing had been
put together as a high-school project. I'll spend my money elsewhere.

What's next...not buying if the card contains the color red?

Possibly. One of my best friends is color blind. If I were buying it for
him, then I'd think twice about color, particularly if distinguishing the
color was essential to using the card. Am I driving this off topic? I don't
think so. The point is that there is an audience to consider. If you want to
make your product appear professional, don't intentionally misspell words.
If you want to sell to a color-blind user, don't exclusively use colors that
color-blind users can't distinguish.

-Paul Pehrson
Midvale, UT