RE: Opportunities in Technical Writing

Subject: RE: Opportunities in Technical Writing
From: Jim Shaeffer <jims -at- spsi -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 12:24:21 -0500

I have read, but do not have the source, that some large businesses in
India (suppliers of outsourced Tech Support) train reps differently
depending on what region of the U.S. they will be serving (NE, The
South, Midwest, West, etc.).

Also, if a company has a solid and comprehensive style guide or
all-encompassing templates for written materials, then what's the big
deal about outsourcing? (Isn't the goal to squeeze out all traces of
individuality or regionalism, anyway?) :^)

Anyone who thinks outsourcing can't impact them should consider this:
Fast food restaurants with Drive Thru windows are now outsourcing the
taking of Drive Thru orders to offsite call centers. (It leaves on-site
employees with more time to clean restrooms and such.)

Jim Shaeffer

> >I know that outsourcing is an issue in the IT community, and this
does
> >relate, so what affect will outsourcing have on Technical writing?
>
> Not much for the foreseeable future. All of us here that have lived
in
> the
> U.S. all of our lives know the cultural differences between the states
> (heck, between cities in the same state). Now factor in how many
> companies
> there are in the U.S. and how each of these have different styles.
Even