RE: Why I like this list but not OT (long)

Subject: RE: Why I like this list but not OT (long)
From: "James Barrow" <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 09:49:39 -0800

Mary,

Thanks for posting this. You did a great job in describing your frustration
and restrictive social life. Ironically, this is the same thing that you're
campaigning against, but this is not the reason for this post.

Some of your points were easy to identify, such as the thread that continued
as a discussion regarding weather conditions. I'm certain that we can avoid
these in the future. But to avoid rants about off-topic subjects I think a
little clarification is needed.

For instance, do you consider the thread about Interview Strategies
off-topic? Because this has been a wealth of useful information for me.
And others on this list have expressed the same feelings regarding other
topics, such as the Management thread.

Hoping a restful vacation is in your future,

Jim

>Mary Arrotti said:

[]

Anyone else feel like they're being spammed? Opening emails purporting to be
about one thing (in this case, technical writing) that end up containing
completely off-topic and personal comments?

I've been frustrated with the recent influx of personal comments, quips, and
off-topic threads. After the first few relevant emails - I'm not interested
in wading through a rehashing & analysis of the latest news story, which
then morphs into a series of advice on how to survive & deal with poor
weather conditions. I've also been frustrated by OT comments that spawn
multiple opinions of that OT comment, followed by different interpretations
& analysis of the OT comment, to be finally followed by jokes and references
to the various comments on the first OT comment.

Hope this makes sense & curious if anyone else feels the same way. I'd like
to continue being involved with this list but I don't want to have to scan
dozens of emails before I get to one that's relevant to technical writing.

I'm busy at work - taking work home at nights, over the weekend. Nothing
unusual or atypical. Many of us probably do this - if not regularly then
when we're dealing with a major release or special project. When I'm at
work, I don't instant message, send emails to friends or family, and rarely
even make personal phone calls. I don't have time for that. Even when I'm
not in the office, sometimes it's hard to keep in touch with the people I
care about, plans get canceled - there's just not enough time.

When I need a break from work, I like to read this list. For the past 10
years, I've read it - mainly on the web, sometimes subscribing through
email. I consider it an important professional resource. There are a lot of
valuable insights & knowledgeable people. When I can & have something unique
to say, I've contributed.

Personally, I'd like it if (as Eric mentioned in another email) we stayed
more on topic. If that's not the case - can we at least label these emails
with OT. That way it's easy to just delete the emails.