RE: Non-English tech writer

Subject: RE: Non-English tech writer
From: "James Barrow" <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 12:54:51 -0800

>Ola Humphries said:
>
>By the wave of the future I meant that more new hires will lack high
>proficiency in the language itself and will need coaching in that area.
>Certainly it's not the hiring of incompetents. It used to be that many
>young writers had great writing skills but were weak in the technical end
>or lacked analytical abilities and interests.

Having worked with teams that contained a high percentage of people who
spoke English as a second language, communication was tricky, but they got
the job done. Of course, these were GUI experts and developers. Hiring
people that don't speak English well, and require coaching, so that they can
be tech writers is an entirely different story. And having seen the work of
people that I consider to be expert tech writers, I couldn't imagine the
amount of time it would take to coach new hires.

>Outsourcing is here to stay, at least at my company. Native speakers and
>writers will be called upon to fulfill the role of editor/teacher for many
>of these people, as a part of on-the-job training.

I think outsourcing is being redefined, but that's just my personal opinion.
Teachers are in high demand at the present though.

>Our job is being redefined. In fact, this has given me a new idea for how
>to sell myself in my next career.

Do you mean that the job of a tech writer is being redefined?

- Jim