RE: Why I like this list but not OT

Subject: RE: Why I like this list but not OT
From: "Carrie Baker" <carriebak -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 09:25:57 +0200

My opinion on what Dick wrote below:
1. I read the digest, so by the time I get it topics are often not relevant.
2. The list is currently so high traffic that I ask myself "is my
comment really adding anything to the current discussion", before
deciding to post anything, especially when it is beginning to veer off
topic.
3. I wonder whether you are saying that as a regular contributor you
have more "rights" to decide what you can post even if it is not quite
relevant to the list, than someone who does not "contribute" so much.
All email lists have people who talk more, and those who talk less. If
all 5000 members were to write with an equal frequency imagine what
list traffic would be like.
4. Someone suggested having an OT list, I think that most people
cannot justify belonging to a list that is officialy declared as not
being about technical writing, if they read it during their working
hours.

Dick Margulis wrote:

This question arises because you are a lurker. Other than complaining
about inappropriate posts, I see about six posts from you, mostly
questions, not contributions to answers. But when a lurker
finally surfaces for the purpose of threatening to quit, I have to
wonder why they bother and why the rest of us should care.

Any thoughts on this?

--
Carrie Baker
carriebak -at- gmail -dot- com