RE: Offer Letter

Subject: RE: Offer Letter
From: "Sarah Bouchier" <Sarah -dot- Bouchier -at- exony -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 13:51:53 -0000

I've had some success with renegotiating post-interview.

I was in the very fortunate position of having received a really good
salary offer from potential employer A. The only problem was that I
didn't want to work for them; I'd 'clicked' well with the interviewer
from potential employer B, who would be my direct boss. But their
original job ad had specified a salary 'up to' 10K less than A, and they
hadn't actually offered me the job...

There was only one sane thing to do in that situation, and I didn't do
it. Instead, I contacted the recruiter and explained my position,
without mentioning the actual figures involved because, as I explained,
I didn't want to get into a salary 'auction' which would just lead to
bad feeling all round. In return, she told me that I was the only
candidate being considered at B and went off to do some negotiating for
me.

I'm now working at B, for a salary 7K more than their initial 'maximum'.
So it can be done. But it's possibly better to try it when you've got a
backup plan in case it goes wrong :)

Sarah Bouchier
Technical Author

exony

On
>Behalf Of Poshedly, Ken
>Sent: 08 January 2007 13:26
>To: Gene Kim-Eng; vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net; techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>Subject: RE: Offer Letter
>
>Gene,
>
>I assume that your reply is specific to the apparently fictional
>government job described by James.
>
>But how to handle non-gov situations and those where budgets are not so
>carved-in-stone?
>
>From what I've gleaned over the years:
>
>* Don't bring up a possible salary figure DURING the interview process
>because you'll immediately be dumped if your expectation is beyond what
>the hiring manager *wants* to pay with no consideration given to your
>non-financial advantages (very desirable skill set, consistently good
>accomplishments at previous jobs, impeccable references, etc.).
>
>* Don't try to negotiate a possible salary figure AFTER the interview
>process because the hiring manager already has determined what you'll
be
>paid and your resistance is futile (again, even with your very
desirable
>skill set, consistently good accomplishments at previous jobs,
>impeccable references, etc.).
>
>Is one or the other more successful in your option? I know that both
>approaches are used, but I just thought I'd ask.
>
>Life's a gamble.
>
>-- Ken in Atlanta

If

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList