RE: Offer Letter

Subject: RE: Offer Letter
From: "Poshedly, Ken" <PoshedlyK -at- polysius -dot- com>
To: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 08:25:31 -0500

Gene,

I assume that your reply is specific to the apparently fictional
government job described by James.

But how to handle non-gov situations and those where budgets are not so
carved-in-stone?

>From what I've gleaned over the years:

* Don't bring up a possible salary figure DURING the interview process
because you'll immediately be dumped if your expectation is beyond what
the hiring manager *wants* to pay with no consideration given to your
non-financial advantages (very desirable skill set, consistently good
accomplishments at previous jobs, impeccable references, etc.).

* Don't try to negotiate a possible salary figure AFTER the interview
process because the hiring manager already has determined what you'll be
paid and your resistance is futile (again, even with your very desirable
skill set, consistently good accomplishments at previous jobs,
impeccable references, etc.).

Is one or the other more successful in your option? I know that both
approaches are used, but I just thought I'd ask.

Life's a gamble.

-- Ken in Atlanta

From: "James Barrow" <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net>

> What happens if the compensation offered is at the TW 1 level? Do you

> call the Department of Redundancy? Do you draft a counter-offer that
> mentions the disparity between experience and compensation?
>
> I'm fairly certain that this wouldn't happen since we're talking about

> a government position, but what if...?

__________________________

This e-mail message and any attachment contains private
and confidential information and is intended for the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient (or responsible
for delivery of the message to such person), please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication to others.
If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message, and then delete it from your system.

Attachments: Please use our "Send us a file" link on http://www.PolysiusUSA.com.

Thank you.
Polysius Corp.
Atlanta, Ga. USA