Re: Getting Hired...Opinion #2500

Subject: Re: Getting Hired...Opinion #2500
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 01:23:06 -0800

Gene Kim-Eng wrote:

Not really, because the real conflict is just getting upper management approves a req, any req. They seldom make much noise over 2 years experience vs 10+

OK, check me on this scenario:

You publish the job order and a recruiter copies me on the description, which says 1-2 years IT experience writing training material.

I read it, hunt for any information between the lines, find none, and call the recruiter back. They don't know any more, but will look into it. I call them 2 hours later, they still can't tell me more.

I make a management decision to send a resume. I don't know enough about the job requirements to fine tune, but these job orders get filled quickly, so I can't wait around if I want it. The resume I send says I've got 32 months of IT Training Writing spread over a decade. I have Instructional Design skills, which don't get old, but the relevant work history is embedded in 14 years of jobs. So I add a cover letter saying " Please see work history items 7,19,20, 27-30).

At the same time, a gal trained in IT Training Writing by the army (she just got out after 2 years) also applies, with a short resume containing the words IT, Training, and Powerpoint featured prominently, followed by a quarter page of acronyms describing her two years as training writer in the army.

If I am reading this thread correctly, I think you'll discard my resume and hire the ex-army writer. Your advice to me would be to pick a different cross-sectional view of my experience and make my resume totally readable at a long glance, right?
I hate to say it, because I think the advice is business-like, but this makes me feel like I'm chasing butterflies, or being reorg'd. Tell me again why my resume isn't OK at 5 pages? Is it too fiddly paging back and forth from cover letter to resume? Or generally not considerate enough of the other demands on your time and attention? For me, this is a challenge, putting myself in your shoes....

--Bigfoot