Re: Tips on Getting Hired

Subject: Re: Tips on Getting Hired
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "List,Techwriter" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 12:07:33 -0500

John Posada wrote:

I'm confused, mostly by those who roundfile a long resume without
looking at it.

You aren't mandated to read the whole thing or none. If you get a
resume of five pages, read only the first two pages. If it makes you
want to read more, do so. If not, toss. Why the religious war on
resume length?

Well put. When I was in a hiring position, I didn't immediately round file any resume just because it was longer than two pages. We all have tight schedules, but that doesn't preclude eliminating excellent candidate just because they have an extensive and varied background. Unfortunately, as I found lately, HR tends to do the first pass and their motto seems to be "more than two pages and yer out."

Al

--

Al Geist
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design, Award Winning Videos, Professional Photography

Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

See also:

"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer "Present" or "Not guilty.""
Theodore Roosevelt