RE: Tips on Getting Hired

Subject: RE: Tips on Getting Hired
From: "James Barrow" <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: "'List,Techwriter'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 20:28:16 -0800

>John Posada wrote:
>
>I'm confused, mostly by those who roundfile a long resume without looking
>at it.

You and me both. That makes absolutely no sense. All that says is that the
hiring manager didn't allocate enough time to review resumes, or the hiring
manager has a very short attention span.

>You aren't mandated to read the whole thing or none. If you get a resume of
>five pages, read only the first two pages. If it makes you want to read
>more, do so. If not, toss.

Precisely. All of my job descriptions are bulleted. The most recent
contain more bullets than the remaining two-thirds. There is no redundancy
in my resume because that's the way my career has unfolded. No position has
been similar to the ones before, except for typing, organizing, etc.

Obviously I'm not going to keep a bulleted item from 1997 that lets a
recruiter know that I know my way around Windows 95, but I will keep the
items from the same time period that explain what I did with tools that are
still used today.

And the notion that a lengthy resume "dates" a person is arrogant. I met
the only other tech writer in my organization today. She started her career
by documenting a punch-card system. As I was wondering which Civil War
president she voted for, she created and configured a Task form in Outlook
in approximately one minute. Her laptop's keys were glowing red.

>Why the religious war on resume length?

A precursor to the Comma Splice Crusade of 2008.

- Jim