RE: Word to Framemaker

Subject: RE: Word to Framemaker
From: "Francois Leclerc" <fleclerc -at- matrox -dot- com>
To: "'Kirk Turner'" <royj -at- alltel -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 08:45:05 -0500

First redoing the TOC, the header and the footer should take you very little
time.

For the header and footer, you need to use the variables and marker function
of FrameMaker so that all you documents look the same. As soon as you have a
template with the header and footer format, it's a simple question of
importing the template to each document and your set.

I haven't read the article you mention but I would recommend you split your
Word document into multiple FrameMaker documents that are then "combined"
(for a lack of a better word) into a Book file. From there, you can add a
TOC file to the book that will do all that TOC stuff for you. You need to
refine the structure of your TOC file but it's WAY WAY faster than doing it
by hand. Just regenerate the book and you have a new updated TOC.

For us, each document is separated as soon as a header would require a page
break. That's our indicator that a new document has to be created. So each
document is small and easy to work with.

For the rest I really can't help you. I made the move to FrameMaker years
ago and I never looked back. Actually, we have relatively small document and
I just can't imagine doing even these small documents in Word.