Re: Contracting and Health Insurance

Subject: Re: Contracting and Health Insurance
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <beth -dot- tripp -at- verizon -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 14:11:17 -0800

With a minimum of two employees, you can qualify for "small business group health insurance," and in all 50 states insurance companies cannot legally refuse to sell your small business health insurance if they offer it to any small businesses at all
(if your husband can plug in a computer or plunger a drain, make him your IT/Facilities Manager).

Some states do extend this same legal status to self-employed
individuals, so check yours.

The cost, of course, is another matter, it may or may not be limited by law (varies by state), and there's a good chance it'll be as much as or more than your COBRA for only two people, but at least you will be assured the ability to get health insurance and the cost will be fully deductible as a business expense, unlike your cost as a self-employed sole proprietor. I do not know if you need to be incorporated to do this, or if just filing a business license is sufficient.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: <beth -dot- tripp -at- verizon -dot- net>

Insurance companies are very picky about who they will insure. Out here on the left coast I've tried to roll-over a health plan from group to a single account but didn't qualify because I have had prescriptions filled. I feel another migraine coming on.

The last quote I received for coverage was between 1000.00 and 1500.00 a month just for me, and that was through the state (only for 18 months). After the 18 months, the state expects you to be able to get insurance. And no that wasn't COBRA that was after COBRA runs out.

I'm planning ahead to when the husband retires in 2 years and we move to northern Wisconsin. Hmmmm, it's only an 8 hour drive to Canada..