RE: Word Template Problem

Subject: RE: Word Template Problem
From: "Tariel, Lauren R" <lt34 -at- saclink -dot- csus -dot- edu>
To: "Jonny Benjamin" <jonnyben -at- gmail -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 11:25:20 -0800

Hi Jonny,

" - If Heading 1 is long and runs into a second line in the TOC, how do
I make the second line flush with the *text* of the the first line of
the entry in the TOC, as apposed to being flush with the first
line's number?"

Change the formatting in the style. Table of Contents' styles begin with "TOC." You can click on one line of the errant text and adjust it with the sliders in the ruler. Then highlight and apply the same style from the toolbar. A message box should pop-up to prompt whether you want to update the style or return the text to the original style. Select "update the style." If you do not get the message box, then your styles are defaulting to the orginal style. When this happens or if you don't like the steps I just gave you, then click the text, select "Format" from the toolbar, select "Style," and depending on your version of Word, you will either get a pop-up with styles and options for changing or you will get a list on the right of the window with styles. Change the styles that your TOC uses here. If you don't want to do any of this, then you can highlight, re-insert, and regenerate your TOC and pick a different design from the TOC options.

- After adding content to the document, the TOC, for no apparent
reason, suddenly aligns itself to the right of the page.

Sounds strange. May also be a style or a text frame issue.

" - Spaces are randomly added between paragraphs."

This could also be a style issue if I understand your problem correctly. By default, the style "Normal" does not have paragraph spacing and the style "Body Text" has 6 point paragraph spacing. Other styles have other settings. Heading styles tend to have between 3 and 12 point spacing before and after the style.

Let me know if you need better instructions or if my suggestions do not work for you.

Lauren

________________________________

Up to now I have not had to work with Word as my main authoring tool.
Nevertheless I have been assigned to fix a few problems with the current
templates at my new company, specifically:

- If Heading 1 is long and runs into a second line in the TOC, how do
I make the second line flush with the *text* of the the first line of
the entry in the TOC, as apposed to being flush with the first
line's number?
- After adding content to the document, the TOC, for no apparent
reason, suddenly aligns itself to the right of the page.
- Spaces are randomly added between paragraphs.

Are these recognized bugs or is there a formatting fix?

Thanks,

Jonny Benjamin

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu -dot-

or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/lt34%40csus.edu