E-book formats: alternatives to PDF?

Subject: E-book formats: alternatives to PDF?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 14:51:02 -0500

I'm currently in the final phases of revising my book on onscreen editing, and facing a bit of a dilemma related to how to publish. I'll definitely be self-publishing an e-book version (followed by a printed version, if I can manage it), which leads to the inevitable reaction that I should simply produce a PDF optimized for onscreen use. That'll work just fine, and I already have the tools and know- how to do this. Plus, it satisfies my inner control freak when it comes to controlling the layout. <g>

But in doing some preliminary research, I received several strong suggestions from people who hate reading fixed-format e-books (i.e., things like PDF where you can't resize the window and wrap the text automatically). So rather than blindly going the PDF route, I'd like to at least contemplate alternatives. I have Mac versions of InDesign and Word and Dreamweaver as my primary tools, and although I'm willing to look elsewhere if necessary, I'd prefer to stick with what I know already (don't have much time to learn and debug new technology).

Here are my criteria:

- Cross-platform (it's got to run on Mac and Windows without much tweaking; Linux would be nice, but not essential). PDF satisfies this criterion.

- Ideally, not a proprietary format, so that people have their choice of reader software. PDF is now "open", but the ubiquity of Adobe Reader satisfies this criterion.

- Some basic copy protection would be nice -- not true digital rights management, which I find offensive, but enough that you at least have to consciously decide to pirate the thing. Again, PDF provides the kind of basic protection I'd need.

- It must support an index (embedded and created by me) and search tools. Again, InDesign to PDF will do this.

- It should permit "fluid design", allowing resizing of windows with text wrap. PDF strikes out here, but that's a "would be nice" feature rather than a deal-breaker.

So is there any good reason to opt for a non-PDF alternative? I've contemplated HTML/XHTML, but I want to ship a single file, not a Web site, and I don't want the hassle of browser incompatibilities if I can avoid it. Something like .CHM might work, but I don't think it'll run on the Mac (will it?) and I'm not sure how to create it from my Mac. Maybe create the HTML in Dreamweaver, then run it through Microsoft's HTMLhelp compiler on my PC?

All other thoughts welcomed!

www.geoff-hart.com