RE: Move to FOSS

Subject: RE: Move to FOSS
From: "Dana Cadman" <dana -dot- cadman -at- cadmancc -dot- com>
To: "'Nancy Allison'" <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>, "'Kevin McLauchlan'" <kmclauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 08:52:48 -0500

Nancy,

}What worries me is what happens if I need to transfer
}something quickly from my laptop o a client's system. As I
}understand it, the transfer from Open Office to Word is not
}clean; you have to manually clean some things up. (This is
}what I recall reading one of the more recent Intercoms.)
}
}But, Dana, since you're actually doing it, you can tell me.
}When someone calls you and says, "Quick, quick, give me
}whatever you have! In whatever shape it's in!" and you have to
}save your file instantly and put it on a server (or email it),
}can you do that for an Open Office file and know that it will
}open cleanly in Word? How about Excel-type files, or
}Project-type files?

So far, my experience is only with OOWriter and OOCalc. I have set OO
to save in the MS format by default, rater than use the OO default
format. None of my clients have had any problems using the Writer files
I send them. I still keep MS Word around because I need it for
RoboHELP, but I've had not problems having documents go back and forth
between the two apps. My account has not even noticed I am using
OOCalc; te files look the same to her.

}Thanks - this is what I really need to know. Oh, while I'm at
}it, what about Outlook. Is there a FOSS equivalent that is as
}robust? I am very pleased with Outlook.

I prefer Thunderbird. I recieve e-mail from five different accounts. I
like that with Thunderbird, I can assgn a unique signature file to each
account. To the best of my knowledge, with Outlook, I have to select
the signature file whenever I send mail (except for the singature file
attached to the default e-mail account). However, I don't have great
experience with Thunderbird because it complains that my ISP does not
have an IMAP4-compatible mail server. I have my ISP looking into that.

I hope this helps. If anyone is curious about FOSS, check out
www.sourceforge.net. I guarantee that if you look long enough, you will
find something to download that will save you time or make your life
easier.

Dana