Re: Move to FOSS (was: Word to OpenOffice - what to do with styles?)

Subject: Re: Move to FOSS (was: Word to OpenOffice - what to do with styles?)
From: Nancy Allison <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: Dana Cadman <dana -dot- cadman -at- cadmancc -dot- com>, 'Nancy Allison' <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>, 'Kevin McLauchlan' <kmclauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 15:22:03 -0600 (CST)

Hi, Dana.

What worries me is what happens if I need to transfer something quickly from my laptop o a client's system. As I understand it, the transfer from Open Office to Word is not clean; you have to manually clean some things up. (This is what I recall reading one of the more recent Intercoms.)

But, Dana, since you're actually doing it, you can tell me. When someone calls you and says, "Quick, quick, give me whatever you have! In whatever shape it's in!" and you have to save your file instantly and put it on a server (or email it), can you do that for an Open Office file and know that it will open cleanly in Word? How about Excel-type files, or Project-type files?

Thanks - this is what I really need to know. Oh, while I'm at it, what about Outlook. Is there a FOSS equivalent that is as robust? I am very pleased with Outlook.

--Nancy