RE: Video vs The Written Word

Subject: RE: Video vs The Written Word
From: Gregory P Sweet <gps03 -at- health -dot- state -dot- ny -dot- us>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com, techwr-l-bounces+gps03=health -dot- state -dot- ny -dot- us -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 13:11:41 -0500

I can do all of those things with my smart phone and Windows movie maker,
though I much prefer the more powerful Premiere Pro. Don't got me one of
those fancy iPod thingies, but the wife does. She'd have the additional
step of somehow getting the avi or wmv to the mp4 format (lot's of freebies
out there that do that, or so I am told). I also believe one has had the
ability to note the timer/counter/relative needle position on a recording
since, well since they started making recordings. Also , if those were
requirements, a properly designed FLV player could allow you to do all of
those things as well.

BTW-Didn't people make the same comments regarding the Internet. I recall
one of my journalism profs, while looking down on our HTML independent
study class, admonishing: "Why bother, you can't take your computer to the
bathroom with you. And that's where most people read the paper." Well
again, my smart phone (which utilizes wifi networks) and most other cell
phones, proves her wrong on that one, too.

Videos, especially simple see-it-do-it examples of specific procedures,
have their place in documentation and should not be discounted because a
perceived difficulty in maintenance or creation. Rapid capture tools like
Captivate and Camtasia can and do significantly reduce the amount of time
it takes to produce a high-quality, interactive demo product. Due to the
high number of applications I support, the rapidity with which they change
and the relative ease of updating my captures, more and more of my
documentation is coming out of Captivate these days. User feedback has been
positive. Many have reported that they prefer the video examples to the
written documents, perhaps I am just a poor writer!

-Greg

02/20/2007 11:01:24 AM: