RE: Video vs The Written Word

Subject: RE: Video vs The Written Word
From: Gregory P Sweet <gps03 -at- health -dot- state -dot- ny -dot- us>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com, techwr-l-bounces+gps03=health -dot- state -dot- ny -dot- us -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 14:04:25 -0500

The world has come a long way from
> those old styles of recording, but nothing replaces planning and
> professional delivery.

Agreed, my point in part as well. I guess I didn't quite make it though.
Specifically here my point was that since recording has been possible there
has been a way to track where you are in the recording relative to the rest
of the recording. As you so aptly point out, as technology has advanced so
have the tracking methods which have improved to the point where a video
producer can give discreet control to access any part of the video
on-demand.

When I produce video for documentation, I produce flash or flash video that
describes specific tasks or procedures, usually not more than two minutes
long. I provide a menu to the individual bits so that a user can skip right
to the material that they need without bothering with the rest. In my
business, that of chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear & explosive
event (CBRNE) preparedness and response, rapid dissemination and ease of
access of information is of paramount importance. My materials must be able
to guide an untrained user through our applications from soup-to-nuts while
the world could quite literally be collapsing around them. So please do not
assume what my or my user's concerns are or how I address them.

-Greg