RE: Letter of Recommendation

Subject: RE: Letter of Recommendation
From: "Al Geist" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "'John Posada'" <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 17:05:17 -0500

John Posada wrote:

"And what never occured to me is that a manager would submit a letter of
reference that they didn't write. Writing is different than embellishing or
editing."

I agree, but not all managers are good writers, and, in my opinion, a poorly
written cover letter, even if it comes from the heart, is worse than no
letter at all. Not all of my former managers had me draft the letter, yet
all signed a letter they felt described me as an employee and an asset. If a
manager requested that I draft the letter for them to review, edit and then
sign, I figure that's better than no letter at all, and at least it will be
somewhat grammatically correct. My best one started "Al doesn't walk on
water, he floats above it..." Alas, that never made into the final draft....

Al Geist
Technical Writing, Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design and Award Winning
Videos
Voice/Msg: 802-658-3140
Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com
office and beautiful note cards for all occasions.)