RE: software tools

Subject: RE: software tools
From: "James Barrow" <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 05:19:49 -0800

>Jill Marie Jeffries said:
>
>I know there are alot of recruiters out there that just look for key words
>on resume that match the job description. It is unfortunate, and I know
>frustrating for the candidate especially when they are not even close to
>being a fit for the position.

Reducing a candidate search to only matching up key words is the least
frustrating part of dealing with some recruiters. But yes, it is
frustrating.

A quick glance at my inbox shows that there are some seven to ten emails
from agencies telling me that, after careful scrutiny, my resume matches
their particular job opening perfectly. Unfortunately, a few of these
emails describe SAP analyst positions, .NET developer positions, and one is
for a director position with a brokerage house. The SAP positions could be
explained because I once wrote the documentation supporting the transfer of
a payroll facility (using SAP) from one place to another, but a brokerage
house?

And emails are just the beginning. If I happen to speak to one of these
recruiters on the phone, they become more like used car salesmen trying to
stuff a professional basketball player into a sub-compact:

Recruiter: "I have a developer position available in Siberia"
Me: "I'm a technical writer"
Recruiter: "Does that mean you're not willing to relocate?"
Me: "I'm a technical writer"
Recruiter: "Well, my client is only looking for a beginner-level developer.
I think you would be a good fit"

I know that recruiters are typically inundated with positions and the
resumes to fill these positions. I also know that most of the recruiters
that I've dealt with want to get a candidate in front of a client first, so
speed is critical. But sometimes it seems obvious that a recruiter has
simply mass-emailed everyone on his or her list in order to get a 'hit'.

I think there's money to made in developing a program that helps recruiters
search for, filter, sort and categorize candidate resumes...wait...I think
I'm a developer.

- Jim