Re: [TCP] From XP to Vista

Subject: Re: [TCP] From XP to Vista
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Samuel Wright <lykoszine -at- gmail -dot- com>, Dan Goldstein <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 08:46:52 -0800 (PST)

--- Samuel Wright <lykoszine -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

> On 27/02/07, Dan Goldstein <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com> wrote:
> > OK, I'm baffled here. Running OSs through VM is a known
> > memory-hog.

Perhaps because I have inside information (I work for EMC and we own
VMWare) and access to testing information (I have the QA tests for
when we test our applications to run on VMWare), you might be
surprised how little overhead it does consume. It does, I'm just
saying it might run less than you think.

Keep in mind that running multiple OS's on a user's desktop is not
VMWare's target purpose, though it does that well. VMWare's target is
server vertualization; being able to run more than one virtual server
on a hardware server.

Picture the impact to IT if your enterprise can go from several
hundred servers, each taking slots in in racks to maybe 15-30
hardware servers, each running 2,3, 10, or more virtual servers (I
was reading of one place that had 40 virtual servers running in one
hardware server).

Whole data centers have been consolidated on this capability.
(Another story of a company who was contacted by their utility to see
if they had switched to a competitor utility because the utility
noticed how much less power the company was consuming).

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

"I think the problem, to be quite honest with you, is that you've never actually known what the question is."