Re: POLL: indexing jobs

Subject: Re: POLL: indexing jobs
From: Joanne Sprott <afterwords -at- aweditorial -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 11:57:58 -0600

Kay,

Many of us are freelance indexers in the book and printed tech manual areas. Publishers often outsource indexing because it's only required for nonfiction. I'm finding that hardware and software manufacturers are increasingly looking to outource the indexing function rather than trying to get the writers to produce quality indexes in a very short period of time. I've done quite a bit of training lately on the basics of term selection for indexes for tech docs, but then after some months have gone by, they call me up to actually do the embedded indexing myself because they don't want to deal with it.

To find out more about indexing in general and indexing as a career, check out the American Society of Indexers at

www.asindexing.org.

Joanne

AfterWords Editorial Services
Joanne Sprott and Sue Gaines
713-252-1945
PMB 113
9597 Jones Road
Houston, Texas 77065
joanne -at- aweditorial -dot- com <mailto:joanne -at- aweditorial -dot- com>
sue -at- aweditorial -dot- com <mailto:sue -at- aweditorial -dot- com>
http://www.aweditorial.com

Kay Honaker wrote:

All this talk of indexes (and my recent work experience with same) has made me wonder about something.

Are there salaried positions where indexing is the only work done?

Do most writers index as part of their writing jobs?

Do most indexers work freelance?

Kay Honaker
Technical Writer
www.accela.com

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as afterwords -at- aweditorial -dot- com -dot-
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/afterwords%40aweditorial.com