RE: [TCP] certification (was: ranting STC)

Subject: RE: [TCP] certification (was: ranting STC)
From: "elizabeth j allen" <eja -at- samurai -dot- com>
To: "Dubin, David" <David -dot- Dubin -at- sage -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 12:12:54 -0500 (EST)

I have to take up Nancy's side of the argument on this one. I applied for
a position as a full-time technical writer at a multinational organization
that listed the following (among others):
REQUIREMENTS
-Degree or Diploma in technical writing.

I have neither and my resume says so. Not only was I called in for an
interview, I got the job. I love it and they seem very happy with me as
well: I just received gift certificates for a steak house dinner for two
and a movie after delivering my first hardware manual a week ago.

Frankly, I am at a stage in my career where I don't really wish to work
with a company that would be so foolish as to exclude potential candidates
based on their lack of a degree or certification. I have worked at lousy
companies in the past and have no wish to repeat the experience of being
treated like a third-class citizen because of my lack of "formal"
credentials.

I have never had a problem getting hired as a technical writer and almost
*all* of my experience has been as a captive employee, not a contractor.

Elizabeth
--
Elizabeth J. Allen
Technical Writer