RE: Changing progams to accommodate reviewers

Subject: RE: Changing progams to accommodate reviewers
From: "Sarah Bouchier" <Sarah -dot- Bouchier -at- exony -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 16:01:55 -0000

>One of the problems in writing in Word is that the reviewers feel they
>should create the revised document for me.

Taken to its logical extreme, you get the problem I had in one of my
previous positions.

We created our documentation in AuthorIT, output it and stored it in a
shared directory as Word for comment by the developers, and then PDFed
the final version for shipping.

Once, I noticed that a project had apparently occurred without us ever
being passed a documentation requirement. I asked the lead developer
about it. "Yeah, I've made all the changes," he said.

?!

He had, in fact, copied the Word document to his local machine, made all
the changes, and... left it there. I'm not entirely sure by what magic
he thought it was going to make it onto the product CD.

I spent two weeks fixing that one...

Sarah Bouchier
Technical Author

exony