Instructional design

Subject: Instructional design
From: Joanne Wittenbrook <jwittenbrook -at- ameritech -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 11:53:39 -0800 (PST)

>While you are correct, it is important in the academic community. Folks
>discuss reducing the (US) standard four-year degree to three because
>students are impatient to graduate. They face the same issues, often
>just in different guises (I have taught at a university, BTW). When the
>corporate traning budget is tight, effeciency is the name of the game.
>Designing to all learning styles is a way to help the learners be
>effecient, while making it easier to show ROI.

IMHO, the basic notion of a four year degree needs to be re-evaluated. Let's face it, there are more paths to getting an education emerging, thanks to technology and the Internet. Perhaps the basic Bachelor's degree as a measurement of proficiency or education or capability no longer applies. It is becoming one of the "nice to have" credentials and no longer a must have. Solid experience and a range of learning from different avenues can prepare someone for the world of business as well, or better than your basic college curriculum. With the rising cost of education, college is out of reach of many. The need to find alternative routes to knowledge is a necessity.

I am not bashing the basic college degree. Personally, I came from a background where college was out of the question due to the family financial situation. I started working at 14 and took classes as I could afford them. Never got that BA, but I managed to do pretty well in the work world. I would have loved to do the four year college thing, but I was supporting myself at 16, working full time and what education I did get was hard won. Frankly, I developed a healthy contempt for those who had their way paid by parents. So often they were more interested in campus parties than what went on in the classroom.

When I retire, I would love to go to school and get my Doctorate. Just because I know I can and I will have the means and time to pursue it.

As for learning theory; I have read a mountain of books and taken many classes. I agree it is important. My only point about the list was that sometimes people just wanted to ask a simple question. "What can I do in the next week to help this employee".

On a discussion list, you should be able to get a simple answer without being talked down to or lectured.
Joanne