Re: wiki's

Subject: Re: wiki's
From: "iFaqeer (SIA)" <techdarwaish -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 12:32:40 -0700

We use MediaWiki (the software that powers the Wikipedia; see
http://www.mediawiki.org/ for product info and http://en.wikipedia.org
for the sample site) for an internal site that started out as our "way
for Applications Engineering to collect information" and has become
pretty much our main intranet site. Production information, planning,
reports, pretty much whatever anyone wants to use it for--even picture
galleries from trade shows and baby showers. And all without any
management push for it or anything--something one senior support
engineer set up (he's since become manager for Technical Marketing)
and then recruited me to help with (I am a Wikipedia contributor and
general wikiaholic) and it's slowly been adopted across the board.

However, for unrelated reasons, I'd like ask something, too: one hears
about the possibility of exporting XML-based structured information
from a wiki and then importing it into structured FrameMaker and
making books. Has anyone done anything like that? Or just exporting
content from a wiki and reusing it?

Sabahat.

--
[Sabahat Iqbal Ashraf]