Re: wiki's

Subject: Re: wiki's
From: "Lech Rzedzicki" <xchaotic -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 21:07:12 +0100

You ask a very interesting question here, one that I was going to look into
for a while now, but never had time.
Moving between wiki and XML is certainly possible.
Now as for specific solution, one can either use the source of wiki entry,
that is test annotated with both HTML and (in case of MediaWiki)
wiki-specific markups (such as beginning the line with "o" to create a
bullet etc), or use generated HTML output of the wiki.
In the first scenario, some custom processing in a programming language
needs to be done to transform wiki entry to XHTML proper or directly to XML.
In the second scenario HTML is ready, but you have to somehow check what's
wiki entry and what's headers, menu etc. I'm not too sure if the generated
output is valid, strict XHTML.
In either case I would use XSLT to transform from HTML to XML, be it
DocBook, or your custom DTD/EDD, because that's the language for that very
purpose.
I haven't had time to extensively test latest Framemaker ( 7.2) but it is
said to have a very decent XML support and going the other way around (from
Framemaker back to HTML should be even easier). I'm sure other users, more
experienced with FM, can elaborate.

--
Lech Rzedzicki