RE: Typographical conventions

Subject: RE: Typographical conventions
From: "Harry Bacheler" <hbacheler -at- aol -dot- com>
To: "Janice Gelb" <janice -dot- gelb -at- sun -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 19:39:34 -0400

I agree to a certain extent.

If your steps are in a 'numbered' list, there might be a reason for not
capitalizing and bolding.

However, if you have a narrative paragraph containing 'many' steps to be
performed, Capitalizing and Bolding the 'key caps', pop-ups, and menu
selections, may help the reader to understand what is actually happening.
(Of course, you have to take into account the reading level of the reader.)

I have seen, and edited a great num ber of procedure docuemtns that were
narrative in nature. When stepping through the paragraph, picking ouut the
steps, it was sometimes difficult 'deciphering' the paragraph and the
embedded 'instruction.

What a bummer that is. Especially if the person writing the paragraph(s)
missed one or two steps, and you had to go to the 'screen' and try the
procedure out. Didn't work out a lot of the time.

Among other documents that I referred to in developing the table I provided
is the QUE Special Edition Using Microsoft Office 2000 Small Business
Edition ((c) 1999), ISBN 0-7897-1969-X, Introduction, Conventions used in
this book, page 5.

Our approach at the Government agency was making the decision that Keycaps
were BOLD and Capitalized.

Harry