Re: Rant: Giving up on XML

Subject: Re: Rant: Giving up on XML
From: Diane Brennan <dalaine00 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Janice Gelb <janice -dot- gelb -at- sun -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 15:56:09 -0700 (PDT)

I agree with Janice that this decision depends on the type of writing environment you are in. It may not make sense to convert documentation to a new tool if you are part of a small writing group in a small company. But for large companies with many writing groups that make monthly deliveries of new or updated docs to the Web (as Web pages, not PDFs), XML makes more sense.

But XML is not difficult to learn. Two contracts ago I wrote documents in raw XML in an IDE and it was just as fast as writing in any other authoring environment.

On the question of XML authoring tools, I believe that Framemaker now has an XML authoring environment (I'm not using it now so I can't check that). If not, you can use the the XMetaL Author tool (http://na.justsystems.com/content.php?page=xmetal-author).

As an aside, I would encourage all people who are technical writers to always keep an open mind about learning how to use new or different tools or environments. The more diverse your skill set, the more likely it is that you will always be employed. And you might be surprised to find that once you get past the hurdles of learning something new that you like the new tool or environment better.