Re: Giving up on XML

Subject: Re: Giving up on XML
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: Kevin McLauchlan <kmclauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 14:17:02 -0700

Kevin McLauchlan wrote:

> Last Monday, Ned Bedinger was saying:
>
>> elaborated with empty-but-logical structure.
>
> maybe you are also forced to insert a paragraph of made-up
>
> bumph, only to satisfy the tagging system or the style guide
>
> that says there MUST be a sentence between heading levels...

Yes, that's the kind of thing that can create unpleasant cognitive
dissonance, when left to the tech writer to decide. Or, for that matter,
when required of the tech writer.

A quick observation and q: methodology-driven documentation seems to be
the spiritual home of logical structure. I have noticed that most tech
writers don't work in an environment where a formal project or
documentation methodology is de rigeur (e.g., a CMM- or an IEEE-guided
software development project). Six Sigma or ISO seem to be more common
development/procedural methodologies, maybe they use formal,
prescriptive information structure for documentation too?

--Ned