Re: Graphic design

Subject: Re: Graphic design
From: <wongword -at- ozemail -dot- com -dot- au>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 09:27:10 +1000

The term technical writer might be better described as technical
communicator.

I am trying to ensure that communicators talk earlier than ever to the
graphic designer so that there is a greater collaboration btwn the words and
aims of the words and the design aspects of the publication. In this way
everyone works from the early planning days to produce a unified product.
For example, I like to have an idea of how many colours and what size a
publication will be so that the writing can exploit these aspects of the
production. It sometimes decide how much content we need. This might sound
heretical to some people but paging and placemnt of text and tables and
lists etc are important but need a collaborative effort. For example. when
we are writing for translation we like to make sure we have spare room on
pages to accommodate other scripts. In any case when we have to reduce text
to fit a page we generally get tighter content that is shorter and better
than the longer version!

I also see a need for a graphic designer to have as least basic editing
skills so that can, with approval of course, realise where ther may be
mistakes or where text could be rejigged to integrate better into the
design.

At the stage of developing a theme or message it is good to involve a
designer who then has time to think about an appropriate approach. ANd they
have fresh ideas to projects from a different angle.

In any case as we start to use more diagrams and visualization of
information there is an even stronger need for the communicator and designer
to work along side each other from the start.

Irene Wong
Publishing Manager, ASIC

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList