Re: Design

Subject: Re: Design
From: Chris Borokowski <athloi -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 08:48:31 -0700 (PDT)

Part of the tech writing job, now, seems to be the
age-old skill of getting it into words. On top of
that, there's knowledge of technology. Layout and
knowledge of final formats, both print and web, is
also important. Even more, we're increasingly called
to help with user interface and design issues.

I don't see this as a negative. Most of the technical
writers I know become local experts on their product,
because they're the ones concerned with how it is
going to be used. Developers want to make each piece
work according to spec, Project Managers want to make
it happen on time, and Marketers want it to be
appealing to a customer base; QA wants to make sure
what's there works. TWs on the other hand use the
product from start to finish, and in the course of
explaining it to users, can find and filter
illogicalities.

How this applies to printing I'm not entirely sure,
but everytime I see this "not my job" attitude I
sympathize, but also feel (gut feeling) that it isn't
a good path for anyone to embark upon, especially some
of the super-competent and underutilized people I see
on this list.

Both Neeley and Neilson qualify in my book for those
descriptions.

--- David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

> I would never suggest that we are not called all too
> frequently to be
> involved in what is more a graphics design province.

User Interface design blog
http://user-advocacy.blogspot.com/
Code::Design::UI::Consulting
http://www.dionysius.com/