RE: Design

Subject: RE: Design
From: "Al Geist" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "'David Neeley'" <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 12:02:05 -0400

David Neeley wrote:
If this discussion has persuaded the original questioner to solicit
the input of a good printer early in the process, then that is a good
thing.

Hi David,
This is what I stressed in the beginning, regardless of where you sit on the
graphics experience tree. Always...always talk with your printer. If nothing
else they will tell you to convert all your images from RGB to CYMK and what
profile to use for all your color, including the PDF.

You're also right in stating that those of us with print knowledge are a
fast-dying breed. I got my education in print back in the 1980s when I
co-founded and published several color magazines. I brought nearly 20 years
of photography and a lot of technical writing to the project, but found a
whole new set of rules when I worked with our printer. I talked with him
several months ago and he said the plethora of DTP programs have been more
of a headache to him than a help. He was in the process of trying to fix a
Microsoft Publisher file that someone sent in to be used as
camera-ready-copy for a four-color brochure. (He ultimately sent it back
with suggestions to make it usable.)

Al Geist
Technical Writing, Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design and Award Winning
Videos
Voice/Msg: 802-658-3140
Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com
office and beautiful note cards for all occasions.)

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList