RE: Style guides

Subject: RE: Style guides
From: "Cardimon,Craig" <ccardimon -at- M-S-G -dot- com>
To: "Techwr-l" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, "Rob Hudson" <caveatrob -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 09:09:55 -0400

Rob Hudson wrote:

<<I am looking for a couple of general purpose style guides. I've seen
the Microsoft Manual of Style, but only had a paper copy of one from
2001.

I frequently need to create these guides when writing for clients. Are
there samples out there? I'd especially appreciate references to those
that describe "technical language." For example, "use Click instead of
Click On.">>

Hi Rob,

I use the following references (all new):

1. Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary. I joined the online
version (using the code word in the hard copy I bought). I use the
online version pretty much all the time.
2. Microsoft Manual of Style for Technical Publications (Third
Edition). Being the Lone Writer in my company -- as well as the first
technical writer -- this guide has saved my bacon, plain and simple. Buy
it. I find the hard copy far more useful than the included CD. I like to
mark up sections using my highlighter and then bookmark them with
stickies. A freaking Godsend.
3. The Chicago Manual of Style (15th Edition). Expensive, but when
you need it, you really need it. The online version is pay only, whether
you bought the print version or not. I stuck with the hard copy.

There you have it. Three references I can't and won't do without. Buy
them. Or don't. Grin. It's up to you.

-- Craig

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList