RE: usage question: since/because

Subject: RE: usage question: since/because
From: "Van Boening, Tammy" <Tammy -dot- VanBoening -at- Fiserv -dot- com>
To: "Kimberly McClintock" <kimberly -dot- mcclintock -at- openlogic -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 13:53:40 -0600

>From our styles and standards (and backed up by MMOS, Read Me First, and
a few others)

"because" vs. "since"
Use "because" to state a reason. Avoid since, unless you mean since time
has elapsed. Do not use "due to."
(Correct) Because the Customer field name is case-sensitive, you should
enter the Customer name exactly as shown.
(Correct) This project may take additional time because resources are
limited.
(Correct) The PowerSuite application saves everything since the last
backup.
(Incorrect) Since the Customer field name is case-sensitive, you should
enter the Customer name exactly as shown.

Tammy L. Van Boening
Senior Technical Writer
Fiserv Insurance Solutions
Property and Casualty Division
303-729-7733
tammy -dot- vanboening -at- fiserv -dot- com
Keep smiling, at least until you get your own way.