RE: Feedback requested: What doc format do your customers require?

Subject: RE: Feedback requested: What doc format do your customers require?
From: "sbuckley" <sbuckley -at- onlinewriter -dot- com>
To: "'Shawn'" <shawnly9 -at- yahoo -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 08:55:04 -0700

The best way to find this out is to survey your users. The main problem
with surveys is wording the questions correctly, so that they aren't
leading. And then to take part in actual user visits to be able to double
check any surprising results.

For example, one of the first times I got end-user help questions on a
marketing survey, I was only allowed a limited number of questions. So I
thought it would be efficient to have check boxes and have users select all
the formats they wanted (printed manual, online, web, and etc.). Printed
manual came out the winner.

That year at a conference I saw a talk that included ideas for the size of
the manual so your users would keep it around. So in my next user visits I
asked people where they keep their manuals to get an idea of the size we
should consider. None of the participants had looked at the
manual...ever...even when they opened the box the product came in.

On the next survey (plus a few survey classes and survey subject books
later) I asked more along the lines of "the last time you needed information
where did you go?" The answer: the Web. The reason: users wanted
information that moved with them and didn't know online help existed.

If you can't find a survey class (check marketing courses) a great book is
How to Conduct Surveys by Arlene Fink. It's a good book to check out even
if you do find a class. I'm presently rereading it because the third
edition is out. You can find it at libraries.

That aside the best help that follows users and limits the need for any
documentation is good design and embedded help. The next best step is the
person next to them, who are usually gurus who read help.