Re: Hyperlinks to Figure Captions... what do other people do?

Subject: Re: Hyperlinks to Figure Captions... what do other people do?
From: Rainer -dot- Jochim -at- pwc -dot- ca
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 09:48:05 -0400

Hello,

Your HTML output is probably pretty consistent and I suppose that the
captions either start with something like "Figure x..." or, even better,
are identified by a class attribute. (FrameMaker's internal HTML export
did that. The name of the paragraph format became the class name.)
That allows you to run a script on all the HTML files to identify the
captions and move the caption's target anchor further up in the file, just
in front of the image. You might use something like Perl or Sed for that,
or XSLT if you produce XHTML.

For the PDF output, have a look at Microtype's PDF Helpers. They may have
a solution.

Cordialement / Best regards
Rainer

"Stansbury, Stan" <SBS -at- dolby -dot- com>
Sent by: techwr-l-bounces+rainer -dot- jochim=pwc -dot- ca -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
2007-04-25 15:53

To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
cc:

So here is the situation. Our figure captions are underneath the
illustrations they refer to, and we generate hyperlinks for them in
Acrobat and WebWorks using tags automated cross references in the Frame
Maker source. When you click a hyperlinked figure reference, "See figure
4-1", for example, in an HTML page the system therefore displays the
page with the figure title at the top forcing you to scroll up if you
want to see the illustration.

This is proper behavior but it also dumb-looking.

Known solutions all have problems:

1. Conditionalize the cross references for print and hand-insert
hypertext tags for online. (I'm lazy and not everyone in this department
is capable of doing this.)

2. Move the captions above. (This looks odd to me, and in any case it's
not how we do things here, which matters.)

3. Accept it, and get over myself. (I want things to be "perfect", but
this is the current favorite alternative of everyone but me.)

I am writing really to see if most people choose door #3, and also if
there are solutions out there that do not involve me or someone very
like me hand-inserting hypertext tags for thousands of illustrations in
more than a hundred manuals.

TIA for your advice.

Stan Stansbury
[...]