Re: Policies & procedures

Subject: Re: Policies & procedures
From: "Pro TechWriter" <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Nancy Allison" <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 10:38:54 -0400

Hi Nancy:

If you have written step-based user documentation, policies and procedures
will only be a small learning curve for you. You got the procedures part
down already, and if your review your work, I bet there are some policies in
there too!

Have you documented software that supports or defines how a corporation
works or an employee does their jobs? That includes policy. Have you ever
written desktop procedures (end to end job processes) or developed business
process flows? That process documentation experience would be useful too.
Have you created or edited a corporate style guide (a department policy) or
edited an employment guide (policies) as a favor to HR? More experience. I
bet you have more experience than you think.

I am a member of the STC Policies and Procedures SIG (
http://www.stcsig.org/pp/). I think that SIG would be very helpful for you.
There is a newsletter and many wonderful people to help, as well as get
recommendations from about learning materials and/or books to read. The past
president, Richard Urgo, does teach Webinar classes from time to time, and I
think he has some distance learning classes going on now.

Making the change from software procedures to policies and procedures was
not very difficult for me, and I find it an enjoyable change. A technical
writer's attention to detail, logic, and fact-checking abilities can be
invaluable to any department that is responsible for provide policies and
procedures for the company.

Good Luck!
PT

On 4/26/07, Nancy Allison <maker -at- verizon -dot- net> wrote:

> Hi, folks. My experience is largely in documenting hardware and software.
> However, a friend has passed my name along for a contract involving policies
> and procedures.
>
> I'm trying to figure out if my experience of writing administrators'
> guides is relevant to writing policies and procedures, or if I'll be totally
> out of the running for this job.
>
> If you've written documentation for software/hardware as well as policies
> and procedures, how would you describe the differences between these two
> areas? Similarities?
>
> Oh, and do the initials "PCI" mean anything with regard to policies and
> procedures?
>
> Thanks for all help.
>
> Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file formats or
> printed documentation. Features include support for Windows Vista & 2007
> http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList
>
> Now shipping: Help &amp; Manual 4 with RoboHelp(r) import! New editor,
> full Unicode support. Create help files, web-based help and PDF in up
> to 106 languages with Help &amp; Manual: http://www.helpandmanual.com
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/pro.techwriter%40gmail.com

PT
pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com
I'm a Technical Technical Writer!

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList