Re: Problem Co-worker

Subject: Re: Problem Co-worker
From: Mary Arrotti <mary_arrotti -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: abby initio <abby -dot- initio -at- gmail -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 08:59:30 -0700 (PDT)

Ignoring her is a good idea but it doesn't really stop the disruption or improve your group's reputation.

I think that - without mgt intervention - it's difficult to handle this without encouraging her. If you respond - you're enabling your behavior. If you ignore her, then she feels justified in continuing rant. I'd also avoid discussing the situation with her - from what you write, it sounds like she enjoys her grievances & likes to air them - so don't feed her. I've worked with people like this & sometimes the best way to handle them is by being unfailingly polite, helpful, and positive.

My suggestion is that you respond every time she yells out a question about a file or makes an accusation. But do not respond in the way she wants - do nothing to encourage her behavior. Instead - cc everyone in your group & send her a simple message like this: I didn't change your file. (Sometimes add "sorry I can't help you".) Perhaps other people will also join in. Ideally - she will find the email responses irritating & a poor reward for her actions. If nothing else - you are giving her the info she asks for & have a record of this. This might be useful if you ever want to push for version control or a better communication process.

abby initio <abby -dot- initio -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:
But on a funnier note, I have already implemented the "don't respond when
directed at the group" tactic. The result? Yup. She just keeps ranting away,
sighing loudly, demanding an answer, and griping about the non-response from
everyone else. She'll say things like, "I know everyone hears me. Who's been
in that file!"

Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList